Thursday, May 22, 2008

Whole Wheat and Spelt Bread

My dear friend Darlene gave me this recipe, however I have put my twist on it some.

Makes: 2 loaves

2 cups of warm water (not hot, but not really "warm" either)
2 cups whole wheat flour

1T. yeast
Pour into mixing bowl, stir, let stand for 15 minutes (set timer). I pour this into my bread machine and then add gradually the...

4 cups of flour (2 whole wheat and 2 of spelt) I use organic flour that I grind in my mill.
2 teaspoons of salt (sea salt)
1/3 cup of olive oil or I sometimes use Grapesead oil (by grapeola)
1/3 cup of honey ( I bump this up for my family to 1/2 cup

Knead dough 4-5 minutes ( I allow my bread maker to knead the dough for me). Place on oiled counter or table to shape. Place into greased loaf pans or cookie sheets or stone. Let tise for 1 hour (sometimes it takes longer for me) Bake for 20-25 minutes on 350F. I have to bake mine for 30 to 35 minutes.

I started out doing this recipe exactly like it says but I had to adjust it based on the atmosphere of my house. Test it out like this and adjust accordingly.

I also add ground flax seeds 1/3 cup I grind the seeds in a coffee grinder.
When this bread is done take it of the oven let it sit for approximately 15 minutes before taking it out of the bread pan. I place it on a cutting board, because my family is ready for a hot slice with melted butter mixed with olive oil and a little honey. They eat it like a desert. :) There is NOTHING like home made bread.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mia said...

Yum! That bread sounds delicious!! :)

About Me

My photo
Southeast, United States
I am a wife to my childhood sweet heart and very loving husband. Mother to 3 incredibly handsome young men ages 15,12 and 9. I am saved by my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. I am a homeschooling mother who calls it a priviledge and a blessing to do so.