Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Delicious and easy apple pie

I made apple pie last night. My children have asked me for year's to make apple pie. I finally got my nerves up to "try". I found a recipe and it was very easy and I couldn't believe how good it was. If my hubby comments on how good something taste, than I know it is good.

I used fresh granny smith apples (peeling is time consuming), flour,butter,baking powder,sucanat sugar (called for white sugar) and brown sugar. I purchased already made pie crust which came two in a package. I used one for the topping crust of one pie. I had enough filling for 2 more pies so I had to make a top crust out of the flour that I had. I used a mixture of wheat flour being hard white and red, a little bran flour and made a biscuit dough for the topping of the other two pies. I couldn't have planned it to come out tasting so good. I couldn't believe it, in my Home Comfort's book the author says that a woman should be able to cook without using a cookbook through experiment's etc. When I first read that I didn't agree totally, but now I do think that there are some advantages to being "able" to cook without using "recipe's" all of the time. My mother didn't even own any recipe books and we loved her made up dishes. I guess you can say that I am a little proud of myself for giving up fear of making apple pie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is something so comforting about apple pie. Just the thought makes me think home. It would be good to know how to make it from memory. My problem is that I try too many recipes!

About Me

My photo
Southeast, United States
I am a wife to my childhood sweet heart and very loving husband. Mother to 3 incredibly handsome young men ages 15,12 and 9. I am saved by my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. I am a homeschooling mother who calls it a priviledge and a blessing to do so.